Florida Highway Patrol tells TMZ … Savage was driving his 2009 Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median … through oncoming traffic … and “collided head-on with a tree.”
Savage was transported to Largo Medical center, where he died from his injuries.
Savage’s wife was a passenger in the vehicle during the collision — but survived with “minor injuries.” She was transported to a different local hospital where she was treated.
I grew up watching “Macho Man” Randy Savage on television each and every week. I started to become a fan during Savage’s initial WWE Championship run, culminating with his match at WrestleMania V with Hulk Hogan. When I woke up this afternoon and saw that TMZ was reporting Savage passed, I refused to believe it, but the news is spreading like wildfire and I can’t pretend forever.
Randy Savage, for me, was the premiere architect of what a professional wrestler should be. Detail oriented in the ring, and entertaining as hell outside of it. When “Pomp & Circumstance” came through the PA at a wrestling event, you knew you were in for something special.
I’m at a complete loss for words, so I’ll leave you with one of my favorite Macho Man quotes.
“The camera is that way, yeah. Sense of direction I’ve always had, but a little help along the way, just like a good quick shove, is somethin’ nice to have, yeah!”
Please feel free to leave your Macho Man memories in the comments below!
Welcome all and how is everyone? Things are all well here in JTland , but enough about me, I have a whole week of wrestling to to talk about. So without further ado, lets get this show on the road:
1. More releases this week. Last week I forgot to mention the release of WWE referee Scott Armstrong. For those who don’t know, Armstrong was the referee who made The Undertaker “tap out” to CM Punk at Breaking Point. This is a shock because you don’t hear about referee’s being released that often. Also released this week was Charlie Haas which is really no surprise because we barely saw him on TV in the last year, so it was coming.
2.RIP Angelo Poffo, father of The Genius and Randy “Macho Man” Savage.
3. TNA released Awesome Kong, Traci Broooks, and Roxxi. I guess they won’t be focusing hat much on the Knockouts anymore.
4. Sean Morley (aka Val Venis) has left TNA to work in Mexico saying TNA had nothing solid yet. Damn, I figured that TNA would have him under some kind of contract seeming that he just went over TNA founder Jeff Jarrett this past week on iMPACT!
5. So, tomorrow is the “big night” where iMPACT! goes head to head with RAW. While I wish them all the best, unless they air the replays on Thursday, I won’t be tuning in.
6. Rob Van Dam is scheduled to appear on tomorrow night’s iMPACT!
7. What was with the squash match Money In The Bank qualifying matches on RAW this week? Ok, I understand Jack Swagger killing Santino Marella, because Marella is a jobber, but MVP squashing Zack Ryder shouldn’t have happened especially after pushing him to the moon on ECW.
8. Maurice “Mad Dog” Vachon in the inductee into the class of 2010 WWE Hall Of Fame.
9. I’m still not really into the NXT program. I just don’t get what everybody likes about it.
10. If you haven’t seen it yet, watch the Goldust/Chris Jericho match from this weeks Superstars. Hell the whole show was goos, but the Jericho/Goldust matchup was awesome. Lets hope WWE does something with Goldust now that he’s on Smackdown.
11. Ok, so WWE now stops matches when someone gets a cut (Chavo was cut during his match with Kofi Kingston). Come on, this is stupid. Even the live fans didn’t like it. It’s one thing to do it during a live show, but to do during a taped show is just stupid.
12. John Morrison and R-Truth are facing Show-Miz for the WWE Unified Tag Team Titles. I think someone said that a couple weeks ago in his Random article. I wonder who that could be?
13. We have a Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang sightings, yet they weren’t jobbing together. In fact Slam Master J didn’t even wrestle.
14. I don’t know why people give Matt Hardy crap for being fat, he really isn’t. He’s in better shape than most of us are.
15. Apparently now you can get your losses removed from you record no in the WWE, even when you lose clean, twice. Who knew.
16. On a final note, for all of those interested, I will be hosting the Wrestlemania 26 Roundtable and I would like to make this a big one, so all are welcome, but please get me your picks by no later than Friday March 26, 8pm eastern so I can have it up Sat morning.
Ok that all for another week, thanks again for reading and see you all next week.