Wrestlemania Moments- My FavoritesBy JT · · 3 Comments
Well since Joe wanted me to do something for Wrestlemania week and didn’t specify anything, I figured I would take a look at some of my favorite Wrestlemania “Moments.” So let’s take a look (these are not in any particular order):
1. Vince gets his head shaved by Donald Trump, Bobby Lashley & Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 23 (2007)- This wasn’t the best of feuds, the best match, but come on, who doesn’t want to have the chance to shave his boss’ head in front of a worldwide audience. I have a fun little story to tell about this moment. When I went to order Wrestlemania that year, Time Warner was having a problem and I couldn’t order it until it was about half over. And when I did it came on right at the end of this match, so I didn’t have to miss it live. (Btw when you order Wrestlemania thru Time Warner Cable not only do you get the live airing, you also get the first replay, so I didn’t miss the whole thing.)
2. Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13 (1997)- This is the saving grace on one of the worst Wrestlemania’s of all time (that and Undertaker winning the WWF title). A brutal submission match that ended in Austin passing out due to blood loss, will always stick in my head until I die. This was also the match that turned Hart heel and Austin babyface, even thought I still cheered Bret.
3. The Rock vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Wrestlemania 18 (2002)- The final Wrestlemania under the WWF name and it featured this match-up of two of the biggest superstars of all time, 15 years after Hogan bodyslammed a 10 foot, 1000 pound Andre The Giant in front of 900 billion people (well according to Hogan anyway). I always considered this as a passing of the torch match-up because, at the time it’s what it looked like, well until Rock left for Hollywood. This is one of the last matches the really had a can’t miss feel to it. We saw a great match, got to hear “Rocky Sucks” chance, and Rock and Hogan posing at the end of it, what else could you want.
4. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels, Wrestlemania 12 (1996)- Competing in the WWF’s “first ever” Iron Man match these two went at it for 62 minute classic that would result in Shawn getting his first ever WWF championship. That was also the saving grace for that years Wrestlemania.
5. Mick Foley vs. Edge, Wrestlemania 22 (2006)- I actually picked this as my match of the year for the World Wrestling Insanity year end awards. Foley always wanted his big Wrestlemania moment and he got it, even if it ment going through a table on fire. Another moment I wall always remember for the rest of my days.
6. Wrestlemania 3 (1987)- Yes the whole thing. This is the one that started it all for me. As a kid, I didn’t care about 5 star matches of corny story lines, I just wanted to see it. This was when pay per view was still fairly new, hell I don’t even know how much it cost my parents to order it, I was just happy to be able to see it live on my TV. Remember when Wrestlemania started at 4pm eastern, I do because that’s when this one did. Plus I got to see Hulk Hogan bodyslam the 12 foot 1300 pound Andre The Giant in front of 950 billion people in the Pontiac Silverdome in Detroit.
Well I guess that’s it. I’m glad I got to share this with you all and thanks to Joe for giving me the opportunity. Thank you all for reading as always and I will see you all next week when Random Randomness returns.
Like this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed today and never miss another!